flyingstitcher

Sunday, January 07, 2007

2007 New Year, better Year!!!


Well hi guys, been a way for quite some time now. But I promised Namuelle that I would try again to do this blogging thing, so here goes.
2006 was a royally dreadful year! Well actuallyto be precise it went downhill from October 2005. There was a bried up period around March/April time, when I was happier with the world, and I also discovered the joys of the virtual stitching community, then it hit the fan again from May and been on the slide ever since. This is almost exclusively to do with my employment. To explain, I work from home for a company based in Bolton, and go out to appointments around the country. I am an accountant, and the company I work for service the petroleum and hospitality sector. Around October 2005, we lost a big contract, which meant redundancies. This was a worry as my DH is a full time student having decided to retrain 3 years ago, so I am the only breadwinner in the house. The company also decided to change their service offering whereas before the accounts were processed in the head office, and I went out with the completed accounts to consult on them, we were now to complete the accounts out in the field. Not a problem, because obviously capable of it, but work a little tedious, entering recipts for £1.59 for bread etc, and obviously far more time consuming. My working week started to hit the 50-60 hours mark. Things settled down around March, April, we booked a "big" holiday for us to Rome, normally using our touring caravan because of costs, then wham, more redundancies were announced. Before, I had been told on the quiet that it was ok, I would be safe, but this time not the case, everyone fair game, regardless of client numbers. Once more the uncertainty, but I was ok, being told whilst in Rome, I was texted to be told that I still had a job! But since then we are all under huge pressure to bring in more clients, work stupid hours, and be grateful we still have a job! Some have since jumped ship, giving those left even more to do, but the bottom line is, I don't want to go back to working in an office, and I need my level of salary to keep us. I was convinced the firm would finish at Christmas, but so far not, although I am still on holiday and haven't opened my post, so there could still be a letter in there. But that is how I feel, everyday not knowing how much longer I have a job, but not knowing where to go as an alternative. To cap things off, DH started his teacher training in September, so he had his University course work to do, as well as preparing lesson plans and teaching materials for the school placement etc. , so he couldn't do his normal role of running the house for me as he was leaving at 7.30am, coming home at 4.30pm and then working to 9-10pm every night and at least one day a weekend. Life as we knew it stopped, no food in the fridge, never having time to catch up with talking to each other or doing things in the house. It was a living hell. I am determined that 2007 will not be like this. It was a mere existence. I am not sure quite how it will change but it has to. I am full of positive determination to not work so much, which is really easy to say when I am not doing it, but when I am still sitting at a clients at 7pm, 2 hours from home because they have a problem, will I keep to it?
So there you have it. Truth laid bare.
I am now off to ponder my stitching challenges for 2007. If any of you are still out there reading this I hope this explains in some way my erraticism. Like I say I am deteremined that 2007 will not be a repeat so hang on in there with me if you will, your support is very important to me!
I leave you with a photo of a current WIP. It is a HAED design Chessmates by Stephanie Pui Mon Law, and I have completed 6 pages of the chart, 28000 stitches which is about 16%. I completed this by 30 December to qualify for a half year goal on a BB that I frequent, the HAED BB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home